Monday 3 June 2013

The CEO cannot be questioned, apparently...



The irony didn’t hit me until later…



I went along to the May Council meeting last Thursday to ask a couple of questions.  I was going ask the CEO why he had been selectively applying the convention, enshrined in Council Policy, to give a Certificate of Appreciation and councillor nameplate to outgoing councillors.



You see, this little tribute to departing councillors was religiously followed until Cr William Moyes and myself lost our seats at the elections 18-months ago.  No tributes, no nameplate presentation, no invitation to drinks for us. In fact, we heard there were high-fives exchanged at the Council offices upon announcement of the poll results. 



So I asked CEO Tim Clynch if he believed Council Policies should be adhered to without favouritism or personal prejudice.




Before Mr Clynch could speak, President Tony Pratico, intervened and declared my question was out of order. Questions could not be asked of the CEO, he said.  In my time on Council and attending Council meetings, I have heard dozens of questions put to the CEO during question time and answered by him.



At the previous Council meeting in April, five questions were asked, 3 directed to the CEO.  At the March meeting there were 22 questions asked, 14 answered by the CEO, 6 by the President and two answered by both of them.



But I realised later, my question did get answered – by Mr Pratico. Yes, this Council does selectively apply its policies according to favouritism and personal prejudice. If you are someone like me who dares to question and (heaven forbid) criticise the current regime, the rules are changed, you lose your rights and are shunned.

 

 From: Bridgetown-Greenbushes Shire  'Council Values'


  • Acceptance of community diversity
  • Openness and accountability
  • Equity and fairness for all

No comments:

Post a Comment