Monday 17 September 2012

Long wait for apology



The email exchange below shows what happens when our Shire CEO makes an incorrect statement and defamatory statement about a ratepayer, which is published in the local newspaper…

Bridgetown-Greenbushes CEO slams critics
By Gerry Georgatos
Aug. 28, 2012,
Ex-councillors William Moyes and Michael Southwell in June lodged a complaint to the DLG claiming Mr Clynch and the council had failed to rescind an existing resolution in December 2010 not to revisit the issue of demolishing the historic house.
 …(Mr Clynch) said advice from the DLG was not the major determinant in councillors deciding not to rescind the existing resolution.
"This is totally incorrect and unfortunately demonstrates Mr Southwell has failed to research the matter. Nowhere in my report to the April 2012 meeting of the Standing Committee on the subject matter of 'Review of Various Shire Buildings' did I mention anything about DLG on whether the previous council resolution needed to be rescinded."


Email: Tue 28/08/2012 12:19 PM

Tim,

You have been reported in today’s Donnybrook-Bridgetown Mail making defamatory statements about me.

Could you identify the incorrect, poorly researched statements allegedly made by me or, failing that, issue and have published an apology?

Yours,

Michael Southwell


Email: Thu 30/08/2012 12:35 PM
Hi Michael

It wasn’t my intention when responding to a question from the reporter to defame you and I don’t believe I have.

Regards


Tim Clynch
Chief Executive Officer

Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
 
PO Box 271

Bridgetown WA 6255


Email: Thu 30/08/2012 1:31 PM

Tim,

Two short definitions of ‘defamatory’ from the web:

Collins English Dictionary: injurious to someone's name or reputation

Princeton University Thesaurus: harmful and often untrue; tending to discredit or malign

You made two points in relation to me; I had stated something which was incorrect and that this meant I had failed to properly research the issue.

These statements are obviously harmful to my reputation. However, if you can establish they are true, there is no problem.

Can you tell me which allegedly untrue statement by me were you referring?

Or, do you contend that you were misquoted?

Yours,

Michael Southwell


NO RESPONSE…  (I’m still waiting)

No comments:

Post a Comment